Re: Question regarding performance on big files.

Things are going to be solved.
I share information here for others that would run into the same troubles.

1/ Changing the BIOS back to an older version (AMI 1.1 instead of AMI 2.0) masked the issue (I/O management somewhere in the controller ?) . But this is not satisfying, as an older BIOS may not handle correctly my hardware. An older version may crash the box due to hardware/software incompatibility.
However, no warning/error message from the kernel: from its POV, everything is fine. So I switched back to the recent version.

2/ I had set very hard values for page cache:
    vm.dirty_ratio = 3
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 0
In my case, on a 6GB server, this lets 184 MB to the page cache. This is really low, but it's done willingly to avoid caching too much and have the kernel start flushing too much. The counter-part is that when my filesystem needs to flush a lot a meta-data pages, then the page cache is filled and the whole application is frozen, waiting for those I/Os to be completed.
With those parameters:
    vm.dirty_ratio = 20
    vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5
The small writes are amortized in the stream of data writes from the application, and the application is not frozen.
(so you were right: there was a page cache issue)

The question stands: my does XFS generates such a bunch of small I/O writes throughout the disk at around 688GB ?

My fstab mount options are classical ones:
"defaults,nobarrier,noatime,nodiratime"

Maybe the software RAID 0 has helped triggering the problem, too: I don't know if writes on a RAID can generate more I/O than on direct disk. I guess so (I/O fragmentation), but that's only a guess.

--
Mathieu Avila