Re: xfs.fsck change that is unhelpful

On 14.08.2010 19:03, Linda Walsh wrote:

> Dave Chinner wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 01:48:01PM -0700, Linda A. Walsh wrote:
>>> Some time ago, when I upgraded a system, I ran into problems when
>>> it hit a file system that was offline.  It wasn't a critical
>>> partition, so it normally wouldn't have been an issue, but somewhere
>>> along the line
>>> someone mangled fsck.xfs.
>>
>> fsck.xfs is behaving identically to e2fsck when presented with an
>> invalid block device - it exits with an error of 8, which is defined
>> as "operational error" in the e2fsck man page.
> ---
> 	That may be fine for the ext2 fs, but I am asserting that in actual
> practice, with xfs, it does more harm than good.

I would suggest using autofs, so that you can keep fstab to an absolut
minimum.

Except for devices related to booting, i personally mount everything
either with autofs or manually(In that case it's normaly a one-shot
thing).

In my case that are all "non boot related" devices, DVD-drive, network
filesystems, some "tmpfs"es for playing, removable-devices, etc.

Bis denn