Re: XFree86: ati driver problem

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Anton 'FaioN' Mayorov wrote:
Marc Aurele La France wrote:
I'm not sure if this bug is connected with XFree86 at all. There are several bits of information that it is a kernel bug. It seems to me that affected kernel versions are 2.6.22 and 2.6.23. Check this:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/6/21/216 .

atyfb has __ALWAYS__ been broken, especially for laptops or adapters not initialised by BIOS/firmware. And it is unfixable primarily because its maintainers over the years don't really know what they're doing. That sounds harsh, but it is true. On ix86, I recommend you use vesafb instead, or (better) no kernel framebuffer at all.

Sorry, I've rather misled you. I don't use atyfb at all.

However, now that you have some kind of display, please send me a "-logverbose 5" log, and I'll see what I can do to mitigate atyfb's latest brain damage.
"XFree86 -logverbose 5" lock my system entirely. Even SysRq magic doesn't work. I've failed to trace the reason out.

BTW, I've managed to synchronize my screen. I've overridden pATI->LCDClock and used "Option "LCDSync"" in XF86Config (although I don't know for certain what it means). It seems to work, but XFree86 still corrupts console mode (i.e. after X server shutdown, all local ttys are in unusable state). And I haven't found the reason why clock values are set wrong.

And one more question. This is the part of atimode.c:
static void
ATISwap
(
   int      iScreen,
   ATIPtr   pATI,
   ATIHWPtr pATIHW,
   Bool     ToFB
)
{
   pointer save, *from, *to;
   unsigned int iPlane = 0, PlaneMask = 1;
   CARD8 seq2, seq4, gra1, gra3, gra4, gra5, gra6, gra8;

   /*
    * This is only done for non-accelerator modes.  If the video state on
* server entry was an accelerator mode, the application that relinquished
    * the console had better do the Right Thing (tm) anyway by saving and
    * restoring its own video memory contents.
    */
   if (pATIHW->crtc != ATI_CRTC_VGA) 	        return;

I don't use kernel framebuffer, so I think my console mode isn't accelerated. But at this point, pATIHW->crtc is ATI_CRTC_MACH64. May it be the reason that my console is not restored on exit? Is this the only method to restore video state?

That pATIHW->crtc == ATI_CRTC_MACH64 at that point is proof positive that you are lying to me WRT to not using atyfb.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310          |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729          |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx         |
|  352 General Services Building   +----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                  |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |    Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                  |
|  CANADA                          |                                  |