XFree86 4.3 question

Would anyone know if XFree86-4.3.0-62.EL had problems with XFillRectangle and newly drawn bitmaps in RHEL 3?

I have an application that draws rectangles into bitmaps (depth 1 pixmaps). These bitmaps are set as the stipple bitmap within corresponding full color GCs for a full color pixmap. The intent is to use XFillRectangle to stamp each bitmap into the pixmap with the display being the rectangle.

This works fine in RHEL 4 with xorg-X11-6.8.2-1.EL.13.36 and not so fine with RHEL 3 with XFree86-4.3.0-62.EL. On RHEL 3, only some of the bitmaps appear in the final display. I figure the bitmaps are good, because I substitute XCopyPlane for XFillRectangle and the missing bitmaps will appear. I'd use XCopyPlane but it is way to slow for the amount of drawing I'm doing (literally billions of rectangles).

Since it works in the one case, I'm hoping I'm just missing something simple like an initialization. But if there's a bug in release, I'll have to look at other options.

(Also, are there any good resources on X programming other than the O'Reilly books?)

Thanks,
Willi