How: Start X without changing to its VT automatically? (-novtswitch seem not to work)

Hello,

I want to start X without changing to the VT the X server is started on
(e.g. vt8), but I can't get it to work. X -help gives this:

martin@martin-laptop:~$ Xorg -help
use: X [:<display>] [option]
-a #                   mouse acceleration (pixels)
-ac                    disable access control restrictions
[...]
-novtswitch            don't immediately switch to new VT
-sharevts              share VTs with another X server

And -novtswitch obviously looks good for this, but it only appears to
work when I kill the started X server. Without the flag, it
automatically switches back to the primary X server (vt7) when it is
killed, whereas with that option, I have to switch back to vt7 manually.

In case it matters, here's X -version:

martin@martin-laptop:~$ X -version

X Window System Version 7.1.1
Release Date: 12 May 2006
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.15.7 i686
Current Operating System: Linux martin-laptop 2.6.17-11-generic #2 SMP
Thu Feb 1 19:52:28 UTC 2007 i686
Build Date: 07 July 2006
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present