Re: Monitor problems on an ATI Rage XL video board

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, alessandro mantoan wrote:

From: Marc Aurele La France <tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: alessandro mantoan <alema99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Monitor problems on an ATI Rage XL video board
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 08:52:46 -0700 (Mountain Standard Time)

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, alessandro mantoan wrote:

Problem: the pc boots in command line interface, loading everything correctly.
This XF86Config-4 version has been modified by me: now I start X
interface by giving "X" command at the prompt, but what appears is a blue screen with a big X in the middle that is the mouse pointer. At the beginning of my modifies I could see the same blue screen with problem of refreshing, it means I could see blue raws running from botton to top. At my last modify, of which you can see the present XF86Config-4 file, I can see the blue screen with the big X I was talking before. My modifies consist in changing the refreshing range, I also tried several drivers of the Linux distribution for ATI and other brands, but the risult was the X program couldn?t start at all.
So the driver used now is the same as in the origin.
Moreover, I tried to use a different monitor, a model 772 CRT Dell monitor with the same configuration file, except for refresh range, and the X program was working pretty good: the pc already booted in X windows interface. Now, I assume of course it's the monitor to have problem with the Video Board.
What do you think?
Can I work it out with my Tulip monitor or not? Could you figure out what?s the problem?

XFree86 4.3.0 is very old. There have been countless fixes in this area of the driver since then.

Which is the shortest way to get the new xfree86 version? can you please give me any link to some resources?

You can start with <http://www.xfree86.org/releases/rel460.html>.

Marc.

+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310          |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729          |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx         |
|  352 General Services Building   +----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                  |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |    Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                  |
|  CANADA                          |                                  |
XFree86 developer and VP.  ATI driver and X server internals.