SOXXFREE86MISCREV

Hello,
When I try to build XFree86 4.6 under Darwin 8.8.0 (PowerPC G4), I get the following sequence of messages:

rm -f libXxf86misc..dylib
mv -f libXxf86misc..dylib~ libXxf86misc..dylib
mv: rename libXxf86misc..dylib~ to libXxf86misc..dylib: No such file or directory
make[4]: *** [libXxf86misc..dylib] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: *** [World] Error 2
make: *** [World] Error 2

Researching as best I could, the libXxf86misc..dylib is generated because SOXXF86MISCREV is not defined in makefile and I believe it is this generation that is causing the problem. I tried looking for where the definition would be generated and failed. Looking backward in the output, I found the following related message that did not fail the build attempt:

rm -f libXxf86misc..dylib~
expr: syntax error

The syntax error also appears in the xmakefile distclean. I suspect that an unprintable character is being inserted in the file name generation at line 955 in the xfr68misc makefile:

	@set +e; MAJREV=`expr $(SOXXF86MISCREV) : '\([0-9]*\)'`; set -e; \

but, cannot verify because I cannot determine how the makefile is generated at makefiles time.

Frank J. R. Hanstick