Makefile generation

Greetings,
I am attempting to cross-compile XFree86-4.4 for an ARM processor.  I keep getting an error that the X11 and Xext libraries are not available.  These libraries are supposed to be copied into the exports/lib directory that is created by the makefile script.  Upon examination it is quite obvious that this is not happening.  So here's my question:  Does anyone know where the creation and populating of exports/lib occurs?  I have searched all over the makefiles that are created in the build directories, and it has also been brought to my knowledge all of the makefiles are generated when the 'make world' command is issued, but I cannot find where the script is generated that creates the exports/lib directory.  If anyone has any knowledge of this, or if you know of any documentation that explains the workings of the XFree86 makefile/Imakefile scripts, I would greatly appriciate your response.

Thanks,
Ivon Cullumber