Re: xfree86-4.6.0 on sparc solaris

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006, Raymond Meyer wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:06:47 -0600 (MDT)
Marc Aurele La France <tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Indeed.  I think I found it.  Please try the attached patch.

Hi, I tried your patch and it does fix the problem with invisible cursor. I
applied your patch, rebuilt the sunffb driver, then commented out SWcursor from
XF86Config file and restarted Xserver. The cursor is visible now, so thanks for
looking into this problem.

I have another question, are there plans to enhance sunffb driver to enable
better acceleration? NetBSD developers did some work on sunffb and they told me
the difference between their driver and the original XFree86 driver was the
driver in NetBSD's X11 source tree had the following modifications:

- it doesn't support 8 and 24 bit visuals at the same time
- it uses XAA for acceleration, which provides Xrender support
- it supports hadware accelerated alpha-blending that speeds up rendering of
anti-aliased fonts

Maybe you could apply some of those changes to XFree86 sunffb driver, because
it does make a big difference with GTK2 applications.

First off, NetBSD's driver isn't NetBSD's driver. It is a merge of X.Org's driver. It is on my TODO to merge in this code, but I want to do so in such a way as to not lose support for simultaneous 8 & 24 bit visuals and accelerated DBE. I've already committed (some of) the common layer framework that would allow me to do this, so, now, it's just a matter of finding the time to actually sit down and do it.

In the meantime, you can likely change the FBB_{DAC,EXP}_VOFF #define's in the NetBSD source you picked up to match SunOS's expectations.

Thanks for trying out the patch.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx          |
|  352 General Services Building   +-----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                   |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                   |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |