Re: Greetings

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 06:58:00PM -0700, Tariq Ismail Dalvi wrote:
>Hello Mark
>
>I think you cannot stop junk advertisement mailers by Keyword or even login
>and password
>on any mailing list becouse they are subscribers too of the list and not
>outsiders in very rear case
>any outsider shall be able to broadcast any advertisement to the mailing
>list, Modrate system
>is little time consuming but it can filter out those junk from the list I
>been member to few other
>mailing list which are highly crowded subscribers messages say 250 emails a
>day without
>any junk advertisements in it, and here we have less then 10 subscribers
>messages a day so it
>cannot be of much trouble to handle it say once a day you filter out junk
>and broadcast the
>real messages even two or three times a day cannot be a problem on fix time
>well two or three
>modrates shall be excellent on one mailing list if one missed due to any
>reason second or third
>moderat can take care of it.

The combination of subscriber only posting and spam/virus filtering is
working very well for the other XFree86 lists, and without moderation.
Either of these alone is not sufficient.  What we are seeing here is
that the filtering catches the vast majority of the spam (>99%), with
the subscriber-only restriction cutting off the remaining trickle.

I see two problems with a keyword.  First, a new poster won't know
about it, so it won't help the number one reason for a new message
being held.  Second, a keyword will likely create a new trickle of
spam.  Remember that the filtering was already blocking thousands
of spam messages per day, and the complaints here were about the
very small fraction that were getting through.

David