X server crash... Help

Last time I started up my computer(Slack 10) and successfully started x, I installed swaret and patched all my packages, and had just installed ethereal and was trouble shooting it when I decided to try switching to root. I logged out, logged in to root, tried to startx and got the message in XFree86.0.log. Ever since I started using my nvidia driver with X, I also have the problem that the display goes random when I logout and I have to work blind to log back in. I'm hoping that that's what the other log files are and you have an answer for me for that aswell. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm a novice user so it would be a great help. Until then I'm stuck on Knoppix... Thanks in advance.