Octagon 2430 (CT65545 chip) fails to display correctly on Flat Panel

I have a monochrome Planar EL 640x400 display that I know is good and will
run in graphics mode (since it works in Windows before any device drivers
would have been loaded) but doesn't display X correctly. I have also
verified that the EL display will run in 640x400 graphics mode by using a
DOS-based test program provided by Asiliant (formerly Chips & Technologies).
The text is perfect, on the EL panel, while the system is booting.

X displays correctly when a CRT is connected to the same Octagon 2430 video
board.

I have tried using ModeLine settings to get this fixed and have yet to get a
display on that flat panel that is even close to correct. I have read the
README.chips troubleshooting section and tried the various suggestions.

It appears that the flat panel registers are being overwritten by values
that the chips driver calculates from the ModeLine when it starts up. Is
this how the X configures values for a panel?

The log file appears to have the correct values since it has recorded the
panel as 640x400 and the chip as a CT65545.

Are there other suggestions on what to do to get this panel to display
correctly?
Is there a way to determine the values in the registers from within Linux
and X? (I know what the values should be since I configured the panel so
that it would work correctly when it goes to Windows).

Andy Mercier