Re: linux - no gui

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005, gustavo halperin wrote:

-> I send you again the file, the name is: XF86Config-4.vesa, just change the
-> name to 'xorg.conf' and use it instead of your X configuration file. I use
-> in this file the 'vesa' driver if it not work change the 'vesa' driver by
-> the 'vga' driver.

That might not work, as it didn't for mine. On both my machines they required the card-specific driver. From what I can see from his components output, it does look like the Sis driver that I assumed in the example I wrote. Bad news is it almost looks like AGP (with the agpgart module) is needed? Is that possible on this card? It is on my I810, I don't know the Sis card. In fact, his machine is setup almost identical parts to my second one, right down to the Winmodem (came with WinXP, which I cheerfully removed 1st thing), only I have I810 instead of Sis.

/etc/X11/XF86Config   <-- File works for both XFree86 or Xorg, can't lose

-> Or last if you want easy life just install Ubuntu in your system, Ubuntu is
-> a Debian linux system very user friendly I think the best today for the
-> people that start with (Debian) Linux. After it you can continue update your
-> system like is done in Debian.

Sooner or later you'll have to learn to write config files anyway; just look at the examples, look at what's on your system, work with what you have, and have patience.

One linux is as good as another, I guess. (Except for Debian/Ubuntu... besides having a funny name, it splits all it's packages into 70 different pieces when they'd normally be just one.)

J/K ;)

--
   / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __ mail me for my *
  / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /  *  email address.