Re: Dual display problem - No matching device section

--- Marc Aurele La France <tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005, Rick wrote:
> > --- Marc Aurele La France <tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> display,

> by PCI
> reports that
> second
> attached
> with
> cannot
> section for

> attached

> original
>
> >> The problem seems to be that your layout section
> >> specifies only one screen.
> >> Or did you already try that?
>
> > I uncommented the second screen specification in
> the
> > layout section and tried starting X.  According to
> the
> > log file (attached) that does indeed seem to take
> care
> > of the "No matching device section" for the second
> > video card - it now identifies both cards with
> their
> > appropriate device setions.  However, there is now
> > different problem. If you look at the log file,
> there
> > are two errors, "Cannot read V_BIOS" for the
> second
> > display adapter, and X eventually hangs with
> multiple
> > notifications of "SMI_GEReset called from
> smi_accel.c
> > line xxx" (xxx being several different line
> numbers),
> > shown at the end of the log file.
>
> > Any idea what is happening?
>
> My guess is that the 0:13:0 adapter is on the
> motherboard.  That's rather
> unusual given it's a PCI adapter on a motherboard
> that also provides AGP.
> Anyway, if this is the case, your system BIOS
> probably provides the onboard
> adapter's BIOS only when it is the primary.
> Assuming your system BIOS allows
> you to, try designating the 0:13:0 device as primary
> adapter.
>
> The repeated AGP engine resets are perhaps related.
> I don't really know.
> Perhaps someone else will pipe in.
>
> Marc.

Hi Marc,

Thank you for your advice.

This system is a bit unusual.  It's a Panasonic CF-81
which was being thrown out at my company (originally
running Windows 2000).  It has dual SXGA monitors
built into it (actually it comes standard with a
single video card/monitor and is upgradeable to  two
by adding a card and monitor).  You are correct that
the primary card is AGP and the second card installed
goes into a PCI slot.  The machine itself is a very
small box, probably no more real estate on the
motherboard than a typical laptop.

In one of the manuals that I was able to download, it
shows a bios screen where you can specify which
monitor to use for each display card (AGP and PCI),
however, when I bring up the BIOS setup screen, that
particular option is not shown - I have no idea why
not.

Regards,

Rick