Re: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M (rev 64) video card How to power it off?

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Benedek Frank wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:51:36 -0600 (MDT)
Marc Aurele La France <tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Benedek Frank wrote:
My Sony Vaio laptop has a strange problem. It has the ATI
Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M (rev 64) video card, and first of
all X was really hard to make work. Only the latest 4.5 works fine
with this, and some old ones, like 4.0 or 4.2. My disribution was
Sarge Debian, and it has 4.3 by default. That doesnt work at all at
1024x480 resolution. It was all greyish even with the right
modeline. ANyways, 4.5 works fine for

Yes.  Only in 4.5 does the driver correctly grok the mode on server
entry for  all currently known cases.

me. What is the problem, that when I go to suspend with ACPI
(S3-RAM), the display wont power off completely, just it gets
dimmed, but some text remains on the LCD. For the "untrained" eyes,
it seems off, but when I tilt the LCD, I can see it is on and has
text on it. Also, it is making a buzzing sound, so it eats battery.

What can I do to turn off the display? Maybe I can inegrate the
solution to my suspend script, so that it turns the LCD off and then
suspends.

The server currently does not have any ACPI framework.  Assuming
you're  running Linux, you'll probably need to configure acpid to
issue `chvt 1` on  S3 events (perhaps S1 & S2 also), and `chvt 7` (or
whatever) on return to S0.

A possible alternative is to switch use APM instead, but that's being
deprecated.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I dont want to go to use APM as that
is depreciated as you said.

What you said about the chvt, I was really happy to hear, and I tried,
but it does not work unfortunately. Same as before, buzzing sound and
the display shows writing. But this writing is very hard to see. Not
obvious at all. I realized it after 2 months of using it, so you can see
how dimmed it is. Also, another very interesting thing, that when I open
the lid, and the laptop is still asleep (it needs button press to wake),
as I said, I can see the writing from an angle, but only if I turn the
LCD to the left, or right, and get some sunshine on it, or light. Now,
when I press the button (space usually), it starts to wake up, and the
first moment when I press the button, I think the LCD goes off for a
moment only, and then wakes up. Why I think this? I checked carefuly,
and before I press the space bar, the text is on the display, and when I
press the SPACE bar, it gets erased, and the screen is even darker, but
only for a second or less, and then backlight comes back on.

Another thing to note, is that the text I see on the display looks
something like this:

******************IRQ Something************
*************Stopping tasks................

SOmething like that. And again, when I press the space bar, it goes
away, and finally the screen looks to be off for a moment.

Sounds like these are console messages. I.e. the X server is already switched out. If so, this isn't an X server issue, but one in either your system BIOS's or the kernel's ACPI implementation. You can verify this by looking for the same behaviour after switching the server out of its VT (Ctrl-Alt-F1, say) and then suspending to S3. A more accurate way would be to temporarily reboot into a non-X initdefault, single-user mode for example, and see if the same thing happens.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx          |
|  352 General Services Building   +-----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                   |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                   |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |