X freaks and cant' be killed

Hello, today when I booted linux, I was greeted by an unwelcome mouse freeze, looking under my optical mouse, I noticed the laser was no longer lit. Having can't do much else, afaik, than to restart X, I tried a ctrl+alt+backspace to no avail, after which I connected via ssh and attempted to 'pkill -9 X', also to no avail. So looking a little further I notice ps shows X as having the 'DL' stat:

D uninterruptible sleep (usually IO)
L has pages locked into memory (for real-time and custom IO)

after googling this a bit, I tried a couple things like killing X's parent (xdm), also to no avail (X gained a new parent, init). I am using the fglrx LKM for my Radeon 9600, I read that if you are able to remove the module of the device that is hanging on IO that it will free the process, knowing this I took a chance and 'rmmod -f fglrx' also to no avail. What does this leave us with, keyboard and mouse? I have had this box open recently and did install an old 3C905 boomerang NIC recently also. I am going to open er' up later in the day and jiggle things around a bit, of course unless someone here tells me it is unnecessary. Other than this, i'm completely lost on where to start. Any input appreciated.