keyboard events in an xterm (or console)

Hello,

I try to write a shell script that would be executed
in a console (such as an xterm), and that allows
the following feature.
The script, when started, allows you to press anykey
from the keyboard. there si no problem with keys relied
to "printable" characters, but the script has no effect
using a Ctrl or Shift key for instance.

I have tried to set all the keycodes of the keyboard to
a printable letter (for say to a) using for all known
keycodes with number i, do
xmodmap -e "keycode i = a".
But then I have problems with some keys using AltGr
I am french and for say the following characters
~#{[|`\^@
are accessed via the AltGr key.

As many keyboards exist, and I would like my script to
be used by everyone, I think I have to developp my own
command. As I don't know all of X features, my question
is: does there exist a way to write a script using
default commands in X that would do what I expect.
I tried xev, and can get info via xwininfo, but I cannot
use them in my script.

Thanks, Xavier