Re: Trying to build Xvesa KDrive (with scalable font support.)

Hi David,

> >  Could not open default font 'fixed'
>
> You will need at least some bitmap fonts installed
> (for "fixed").  The
> Xvesa from a default XFree86 4.5.0 build is about
> 850kB, not 8MB.

You are right, the Xvesa is only about 850K, 8MB was
the size of the RPL-image.

I'm a bit confused.  I thought KDrive used "built-in"
fonts, and thus there would be no need to include
them.  Yet, I see that the program I am trying to
change has both fonts inside the RPL image and makes a
symlink to a font directory on the RPL server.  So
clearly externally defined fonts are being used.

The fonts in the RPL image are located at:

  /usr/share/jimbob/fonts/*.fon

And the symlink established before the app starts is:

  ln -s /mnt/rpl_server/fonts
/home/jimbob/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts

The application on the device uses wxWidgets for it's
GUI interface, so perhaps *it* is looking for these
fonts at the above two locations instead of the Xvesa
server.

I doubt either of the font locations I have found are
the default for the Kdrive Xvesa server, so I wanted
to try and change the default font directory
(especially if they are not really "built-in").

I have been googling and reading the cf files trying
to find a #define to set the default font directory,
do you know if there is one?

I looked in to mkfontscale and mkfontdir, and the
files they create are not present in the RPL-image.
They *are* located at a location based off where the
symlink points:

  /usr/share/jimbob/fonts/misc/fonts.dir
  /usr/share/jimbob/fonts/misc/fonts.alias
  /usr/share/jimbob/fonts/misc/<a bunch of font files>

So now it really looks like I need to get Xvesa to
look for the fonts at:

  /home/jimbob/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts

Thanks!