Re: Trying to build Xvesa KDrive (with scalable font support.)

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 01:02:18PM -0700, x nooby wrote:
>I am trying to add scalable font support to an
>existing Xvesa Kdrive/TinyX server.  This server runs
>on an x86-based device that uses (and must use) a
>Redhat 7.3 kernel.  The linux install is hand-made and
>slimmed-down to fit in to a RPL boot image, so I do
>not have any developer tools available when it is
>running on the device.  I am somewhat new to linux,
>and very new to building custom Xservers. I have been
>reading various Kdrive/TinyX webpages I found through
>Google and am trying to read the files that come with
>XFree86.
>
>I have the Xvesa Kdrive binary that I am to replace.
>It's about 8MB, and it works.  I do not have the
>XFree86 sources that were to used to build it, and I
>think most importantly, I do not have the config files
>used to build it.  I have divided my tasks in to these
>steps:
>
>  1) Compile plain-vanilla Xvesa Kdrive server (done)
>  2) Make sure plain-vanilla Xvesa can run on device
>(crashes)
>  3) Compile with scalable font support (builds fail)
>  4) Make sure new Xvesa Kdrive can run on device
>  5) Modify app to display scalable fonts
>
>The first thing I did was install Redhat 7.3 on to a
>spare x86 PC.  Next, I downloaded the
>XFree86-4.5.0-src files from Xfree86.org, and
>uncompressed them in to /root/x/.
>
>I'm not sure of the exact relationship between
>site.def, xf86site.def, TinyX.cf, and host.def - but I
>copied xf86site.def to /root/x/xc/conf/cf/host.def,
>and added these 3 lines:
>
> #define KDriveXServer YES
> #define TinyXServer YES
> #define XvesaServer YES
>
>Then I successfully compiled using:
>
>  make World > World.log 2>&1
>

>It created an Xvesa file at
>/root/x/xc/programs/Xserver/Xvesa that is about 8MB.
>I put this Xvesa file in to the device's RPL image,
>prayed, and booted it.  It didn't work, and displayed
>these messages:
>
>  Could not init font path element
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF,removing from list.
>  Could not init font path element
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/speedo,removing from list.
>  Could not init font path element
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID,removing from list.
>  Could not init font path element
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,removing from list.
>
>  Could not open default font 'fixed'

You will need at least some bitmap fonts installed (for "fixed").  The
Xvesa from a default XFree86 4.5.0 build is about 850kB, not 8MB.

>Again, my initial goal here is to just create and run
>a plain-vanilla Xvesa Kdrive server.
>

>So far I have these questions:
>
>1) Do I have to specify in the host.def where in
>device's linux hierarchy font files are located (there
>are some in a /usr/share/fonts directory).

Or link them to where the default build expects to find them, and don't
forget mkfontscale/mkfontdir.

>2) Was I right to copy xf86site.def to host.def,
>rather than use site.def?

The default XFree86 4.5.0 build on Linux builds the TinyX servers by
default, without the need for any host.def file.

>3) Should I expect to make Kdrive work with
>Microsoft's (free) scalable TrueType Core Fonts?
>(those are the ones I plan to use)

It will work with client-side TrueType fonts as-is, for applications
that use them.  I have a patch for customising which server-side font
support gets included in the TinyX servers, which I'll commit soon.  With
this patch it is possible to build the TinyX servers with support for
TrueType fonts.  If that's what you need, check out the current development
version of XFree86 in a few days from now, and add the following to your
host.def:

#define TinyXFreeType YES

>4) Should I be using software from X.org as opposed to
>Xfree86.org?

Obviously I recommend XFree86.

>5) Is there an easy way to speed up the builds, which
>take 55 minutes on my dedicated PC.

Customise your host.def to not build what you don't need.

David
--
David Dawes                                     X-Oz Technologies
www.XFree86.org/~dawes                          www.x-oz.com