BadWindow error using emacs and ssh

Hello,
I am trying to interact with a server via ssh. I have no problems logging in and popping windows with my terminal. I can open files for editing using emacs. However, when I try to highlight any text in the emacs window, it immediately closes and I get an error in my terminal that says:

X protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) on protocol request 38

Any suggestions/ideas? I can provide any more specific information upon request, but I don't really know what would be useful. I am running:
Mac OS X.4
XFree 86 4.4.0
The error is repeatable on OSX.3 running XFree 86 4.3.9

Adrian Down
adriand@xxxxxxxxxxxx