Pasting from X window

You know how you select text in a window, and then press the middle mouse key and the text will be copied into the active window?  Well, if you've selected the text and clicked on the mouse key, how do you abort the copy?  I have users who have selected large amounts of text, clicked the middle mouse, and the copy will go on for long period of time.  Turns out the window is open to a serial line, and the text is copied at an excrutiatingly slow rate.  I'd like to be able to abort the copy.  <esc> and other keys don't seem to do it.