Followup: Where are all my fonts?

Way back on Feb 01, 2005, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Rex Dieter wrote:
> >Many fontconfig default setups *only* display scalable fonts, and omit
> >bitmap fonts (See /etc/fonts/fonts.conf).  Personally, I add the
> >following to /etc/fonts/local.conf to (re)enable bitmap fonts:
> >
> ><dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi</dir>
> ><dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi</dir>
> ><dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc</dir>
>
> Actually, that isn't necessary.  The file: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf"
> should contain:
>
> 	<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>
> 	<dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
> 	<dir>~/.fonts</dir>
>
> Unless you have fonts in odd places, this should find all of your fonts.

That's what I thought, but apparently things don't work as James
suggests with KDE 3.4 and XFree86 4.5.0.  I had been rummaging around
trying to reconnect with Helvetica after installing X-4.5.0 and then
the latest KDE, built via konstruct, when I found this thread in my
kde list archive.

The /etc/fonts/fonts.conf file installed by X does have the three
lines referencing the top-level fontpaths (all my fonts are in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts), but the bitmap fonts only appeared in KDE
after I added those specific font directories to local.conf.  And yes,
I had run fc-cache after the X installation.

The bitmap fonts simply never appeared in any of the KDE font selection
lists, either as user or "Administrator".  Interestingly, as user,
any effort to add a font resulted in an error popup saying:
   "The process for the fonts protocol died unexpectedly".
As root (administrator), I didn't get that error, but I wasn't
offered any bitmap fonts in the selection list.  If I browsed to one
of the pcf files manually, the installer advised me that a file with
that name already existed, and did I want to overwrite it?

All the fonts were available all along in xfontsel.  I had a very
difficult time getting anything remotely readable in a KDE Konsole,
but I could get the standard "fixed" family fonts in an Xterm by
specifying the XLFDs in ~/.Xdefaults.

So, I don't know what's up with KDE, whether all this indicates some
bug in the system somewhere, but I'm grateful that adding the <dir>
lines to local.conf provides a workaround.

FWIW,

Jim