Attaching to a running server

Title: Message
Hi all,

I have a little problem attaching to a running server from a process started by rc.local.

Basically I have a program that must start prior to the X server to monitor a piece of hardware.  That process needs to open a small window on the user's display once X starts.  I have tested the program by starting from a console, running the program which daemonizes itself and then I startx.

When I do this everything works fine.  The program opens a small window and I can see the status of my hardware.

However, if I start the program from within rc.local, when the X server starts it refuses my connection can puts this error message on the console:

Xlib: No protocol specified

It this error if I use NULL, ":0.0", "::0.0", "localhost:0.0" or "unix:0.0" (I know, I know, this is way old ;-).  I did a few searches and found that this error is produced by the X authorization code.  It looks like if any hosts are authorized, localhost is removed from the authorization list.

What I would like to know is what is the difference between my program starting from rc.local vs from a local user (root).  Since I daemonize using the daemon() call, I should no longer be associated with a tty, etc.

Anyone have an idea how I can make this work?

Your help is appreciated.

Take care,
KJohn