Re: Fonts displayed as squares, ATI driver doesnt work in 4.3 for Rage M P/M

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Benedek Frank wrote:

In my Sony Vaio Laptop (PCG-C1VRX/K) I have an ATI Rage Mobility Mach64 P/M
chipset. This chipset while works in the Xfree86 4.3 version when displaying
640x480, but not when using with 1024x480 for 16 or 24bit. With 8 bit it
works. What I get in 16 and 24 bits is a Grayish screen filling up the whole
LCD.

I found googling around pn a Japanese site, that somebody has the same
problem, but being a Japanese site, the translation wasnt so clear, so I
didnt understand what happened, just that 4.5 works fine with the chip. I
upgraded to 4.5, and Voila, the 1024x480 works like a charm in 16 and 24 bit
as well. However, now KDM and KDE doesnt show a single letter or digit, just
squares everywhere instead of writing. I installed twice, first telling it
not to overwrite the fontconfig, but that caused square fonts, so I installed
secondly, telling to update the fonts config, and still the same problem. I
am not an expert, so I dont know where to go , what to do.

My distribution is Debian Sarge with 2.6.11 kernel. I have some Japanese fonts
installed ttf-sazanami-mincho and gothic, I installed while using Xfree4.3
with 640x480 and they worked fine.

Does xterm display properly? If so, you likely clobbered your font path when upgrading.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |