Re: gamma correction outside driver?

On Wed, 4 May 2005, paul womack wrote:

> David Dawes wrote:
> > On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 12:53:43PM -0700, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
> >
> >>  This stuff is HW specific so it needs to be done by the driver.
> >>Looking through the i810 driver source code, it appears the i810
> >>driver supports gamma but the i830 driver does not.  I don't know
> >>the reason behind that.  Perhaps David Dawes knows.  I see he's
> >>worked on the i830 driver.
> >

> > I no longer have access to the relevant documentation, and don't recall
> > if was omitted because of hardware limitations or other reasons.  Someone
> > with access to the hardware specs should be able to provide a better answer
> > to this.
>
> OK. Assuming that some cards don't have HW support for gamma
> correction, that leaves owners of those cards with uncontrollable
> displays.

   I would be very surprised if any modern graphics card did not
support gamma correction.

> I suppose I can split my question into 2; my real request
> is (of course) for wonderful accurate screen display.
>
> 1) Can gamma correction be added/incorporated into the driver?

   If somebody has appropriate documentation for that chip, yes.
It's probably just a matter of passing the CMAP_PALETTED_TRUECOLOR
flag to xf86HandleColormaps and setting some magic bit in the
hardware somewhere.

			Mark.