Console text video mode is not properly restored when XFree86 terminates (Solaris x86, ATI Radeon)

XFree86 releases: 4.4.0, 4.2.0
OS: Solaris x86, release 10 and 8.
Video card: ATI Radeon 8500, DVI output connected to DFP display.

When my XFree86 server terminates, the screen is supposed to be
switched back into the black-and-white character mode display of the
Solaris workstation console screen. The problem I'm having is that the
text fg & bg colours of the console screen are not getting restored to
black and white when the server terminates. The console screen
reappears but the text is dark grey on black background which is
almost impossible to read.

I've done some experiments with the Xsun or Xorg X servers, and when
they terminate under similar situations they always leave the
workstation console in a readable black-on-white state. It's just the
XFree86 server that has this glitch. I don't know the cause and am
wondering if it has something to do with not restoring the video
card's colour map or pallete... ?

I've seen this behaviour now over several versions of XFree86 and
Solaris x86. Very grateful if anyone could point me to the problem, or
suggest a way to reset the console screen video mode to black & white
after the X server has terminated.

TIA,
Nico