Re: linux and video display settings

On 4/30/05, Nate Traaseth <traaseth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I changed display settings on my linux partition and then restarted linux
> (8.0) I was unable to load into Linux. I have attached the LOG error
> message that the start-up screen advocated to copy and send to this email
> address. How do I get Linux loading properly again.
You've probably just changed them to a setting which your video card
and/or monitor cannot handle. As far as I know you must now delve into
the XFree86 configuration file. It's usually found in
/etc/X11/XF86Config. You'll want to look at two sections.

One section is called "Monitor" and it should look something like this:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"
        HorizSync    31.5 - 57.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 70.0
        Option       "DPMS"
EndSection

Most of the stuff inbetween Section and EndSection might be different.
That's fine. What you could try first is to change or add a
VertRefresh option to look like this:

VertRefresh 60

Almost all monitors will support 60Hz. It won't look best, but it
should at least work.

Try to load your desktop.

If that did not work, then look at the "Screen" section. It will look
something like this:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    16
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     1
#               Modes     "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     4
#               Modes     "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     8
#               Modes     "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     15
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     16
                Modes   "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "320x240" "160x120"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Again, it will look different which is fine. What you should look for
or add is a 16-bit display section with a definitely-will-work
resolution like 800x600 like this:

SubSection "Display"
     Depth 16
     Modes     "800x600"
EndSubSection

If this does not work, I suppose you could even look for the Driver
line in the "Device" section and change it to "vesa" and see if that
works.

If none of this works, then hopefully someone else can help.

Good luck!

--
Andy