Re: Re: Xv doesn't work any more

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 05:38:05PM -0800, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
>On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Greg Stark wrote:
>
>> Mark Vojkovich <mvojkovi@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> >    That sounds like a driver issue.  You might want to look through
>> > the cvs history for suspicious changes.  This one looks suspicious:
>> >
>> > http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/mga/mga_video.c.diff?r1=1.35&r2=1.36&sortby=date
>> >
>> >    The description says:
>> >
>> >  85. Fix for Xv resolution loss problem with Matrox cards (Michael Lampe).
>> >
>> >    but, if I recall correctly, some of the resolution loss issues
>> > with Matrox cards were because the video scaler didn't have enough
>> > bandwidth to display the full resolution.  Reclaiming the resolution
>> > in bandwidth challenging situations probably results in fifo underflows
>> > which, at least on the NVIDIA cards that I'm familiar with, would
>> > produce results like you are describing.
>>
>> I don't follow that at all. What do you mean by "resolution loss" and
>> "reclaiming the resolution"?
>
>   I don't remember the details because it was a long time ago, but
>back when I wrote the original MGA Xv support, I recall the driver
>using a lower-bandwidth mode where the chroma was subsampled in some
>way.  I assume, but am not positive, that the mentioned patch is undoing
>that.

There has been some back and forth on this over the years.  The most recent
changes are from a little over a year ago, and were covered in the following
thread on the devel list:

   http://www.mail-archive.com/devel%40xfree86.org/msg05974.html

I think we need more information on which versions work for given hardware,
starting with single-headed, single server cases for reference.

David