Re: Discrepancy in "autoconfig" vs "configure" command line options in XFree86 4.5.0 RC2

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 10:25:58PM -0800, Tom Williams wrote:
>Ok, when I read the man pages on XFree86 (man XFree86), the "-configure"
>option is described:
>
>-configure
>When  this option is specified, the XFree86 server loads all video driver
>modules, probes for available hardware, and writes out an initial
>XF86Config(5x) file based on what was detected.  This option currently has
>some problems on some  platforms,  but  in  most cases  it is a good way to
>bootstrap the configuration process.  This option is only available when
>the server is run as root (i.e, with real-uid 0).
>
>When I enter the XFree86 command with an invalid argument, the "-configure"
>option is not mentioned at all but an "-autoconfig" option is listed:
>
>-autoconfig            automatic configuration, even when a config file
>exits
>
>Shouldn't the XFree86 help information when an invalid command line
>argument is specified match (or come close to matching) the man page?

The '-configure' option is listed if you are root when you do that.  The
root-only options are not listed when you are not root.

>Is this worth filing a bug report on?
>
>Now, are "-autoconfig" and "-configure" the same option?

No.  -autoconfig runs XFree86 without reading a config file, and
this option is activated by default if you simply run 'XFree86'
when no config file exists.  -configure generates a config file as
described in the man page entry you quote.  The man page description
for -autoconfig is:

       -autoconfig
               Use  automatic XFree86 server configuration, even if a configu-
               ration file is available.  By default  automatic  configuration
               is only used when a configuration file cannot be found.

"automatic configuration" is described further elsewhere in the same
man page:

       Starting  with version 4.4, XFree86 has support for generating a usable
       configuration at run-time when no XF86Config(5) configuration  file  is
       provided.   The initial version of this automatic configuration support
       is targeted at the most popular hardware and  software  platforms  sup-
       ported  by  XFree86.  Some details about how this works can be found in
       the CONFIGURATION section below and in the getconfig(1) manual page.

       Starting with version 4.4, XFree86 has a  mechanism  for  automatically
       generating a built-in configuration at run-time when no XF86Config file
       is present.  The current version of this automatic configuration mecha-
       nism works in three ways.

       The  first  is  via  enhancements that have made many components of the
       XF86Config file optional.  This means  that  information  that  can  be
       probed  or  reasonably deduced doesn't need to be specified explicitly,
       greatly reducing the amount of built-in configuration information  that
       needs to be generated at run-time.

       The  second  is  to  use  an external utility called getconfig(1), when
       available, to use meta-configuration information to generate a suitable
       configuration  for  the  primary  video device.  The meta-configuration
       information can be updated to allow an existing installation to get the
       best  out  of  new hardware or to work around bugs that are found post-
       release.

       The third is to have "safe" fallbacks for most  configuration  informa-
       tion.  This maximises the likelihood that the XFree86 server will start
       up in some usable configuration even when information  about  the  spe-
       cific hardware is not available.

David