Re: How to make XFree86 not handle VT switching ?

Hi;

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, xerces8 wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I need to make XFree86 not do any VT switching stuff.
> Is there an option for that ?
> I tried the "DontVTSwitch" option, but it does not help.
>
> What I want is to start X on a secondary gfx card, but leave the text
> terminal on the primary unaffected. ( on Linux 2.6.8 kernel )
>
> Normally X would allocate the next free vt on start and switch to it,
> causing the kernel to show an empty screen on the primary card.
> If I use ctrl-alt-F1 to switch to vt1, then it appears on primary display,
> but the X server on the secondary card then goes "inactive".
>
> Is there an option to make XFree86 not allocate a vt ?

I take it that you are talking about the VTs that are implemented in the
Linux kernel. These have nothing to do with X - other than X uses the
first free one in order to produce the display.

The number of VTs will be determined by the number of gettys running on
the VT devices. These gettys are (usually) controlled by init and are
set in /etc/inittab. For instance:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

will produce VT1 thru VT6 and X will use VT7. (/dev/ttyn is a device
having a major of 4 and a minor of n.) If you want less VTs the it is
just a matter of not running a getty on the device. Tha is by commenting
the lines in inittab out.

> Or is there maybe some "dummy" vt that I ccan specify on its command
> line , like :
> X :0 vt_dummy
> ?
>
> Or any other way to have X on secondary and VTs on primary active at the same time ?

This seems to be that core of your problem. I'm not sure whether
changing the total number of VTs addresses it. Seems to me that you need
a method of forcing X to ignore the first card and only using the
second. I do not know how this is done.

> I know a solution with some heavy kernel patching, but I want to find
> a solution that works with a plain linux kernel.
>
> I also tried the "SingleCard" option, but that does not help either.
> ( it is in some patch, I guess it is not in the official XFree86 (yet?))
>
> Regards,
> David Balazic
>
> P.S.: Keyboard handling : I have no problems with the keyboard. Please ignore the keyboard ;-)

Cheers

--
Peter F Bradshaw, pfb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ICQ 75431157 (exadios).
PGP public key at http://members.iinet.net.au/~exadios/public_key.html