From: Grant Sewell [mailto:g.sewell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 20 January 2005 23:35
To: xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Interactive Whiteboard...

Hi all.

I teach at a local college where we have a fair number of "interactive
whiteboards" (touch sensitive, or pen-activated boards onto which the screen
is projected).  The particular model I am interested in is the "Promethean
Activboard".

I use a laptop running Debian Sid with XFree 4.3.0.1.  I have the Graphics
side of things setup very nicely thank-you, but I would like to get the
"interactive pen" running as a pointing device so that I can leave the
laptop in the corner of the room and not have to revisit it every couple of
seconds.

The whiteboard connects to the computer via a standard (I presume, RS232)
"serial" port (9pin variety).  I have tried every combination of
driver/protocol that I could imagine for serial mice, and I have tried using
both the laptop's own serial port and a USB->serial adaptor, but nothing has
worked so far.

Has anyone had any success using these whiteboards with X?

I have contacted the manufacturer but they didn't seem particularly
interested in my request for assistance (now there's a surprise).

Thanks.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.