Apple Cinema 20" and DPMS

Hello:

I am currently using an Apple Cinema 20" Display with
a SuSE 9.1 distribution - kernel - 2.6.5-7.19.111
kernel and XFree86 4.3.99-902.43.28 with an NVIDIA
GeForce 4 MMX 440 video card and the NVIDIA Driver
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336.

I am having problems using DPMS - It does put the
display into Standby Mode and then Shut it down (turn
off the backlight) correctly but then when I try to
restart or wake up the display, it does not fully turn
back on.

Instead I get a blank screen with a tiny bit of my
screensaver visible here and there (the last thing it
displayed before turning off) and the mouse pointer
which does move about the screen but I can't see
anything else.

I then have to reboot my computer using key commands .

I would appreciate any advice anyone has on fixing
this as it used to work when I had SuSE 9.0 installed
with the NVIDIA kernel but no longer - and I do need
the distro upgrade for the 2.6 kernel.

Cheers,

David