Re: A60 157

There is a "radeon" driver in all recent distros of XFree86 (RedHat 9.0, etc).

I use this in a Dell D600 (ATI Mobility (C) Radeon (R) 9000 M9). The driver is
rock solid, and supports all resolutions and colour depths of the card, as
far as I can tell.

However, it does not support the 3D acceleration of the card. This could make
watching DVD a bit jerky, for example. If you want the 3D acceleration to
work you have a number of options:

1. It may work out of the box (depending on what other hardware is involved in
the graphics system), with nothing more than the tweaking of a parameter or
two in the X config file.

2. Install or upgrade one or more of: the radeon driver, XFree86, Xorg, or DRI
(the Direct Rendering Interface) libraries.

3. Use the ATI proprietary binary-only driver for the card. My experience with
the binary-only driver is that it would occasionally cause the entire machine
to freeze, so I am investigating the other options.

The main competitor to ATI is nVidia. There are, to my knowledge, no
open-source drivers for these cards that also support the 3D acceleration. On
the other hand, the binary-only drivers supplied by nVidia are reportedly
much more robust than the ATI ones.

I chose the ATI card because I believe that I will be able to get the full
performance of the card without resorting to proprietary drivers.

Cheers!
Nik