Re: Screen Resolution

Hi Bukie. I am using the on-board graphic controller. I have no printer attached but this is part of the X86Config:

Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "i810"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
Boardname "Intel 865"

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
Default depth  16
Subsection Display "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768" "800x600"  "640x480"

Monitor
Monitor0
Monitor Vendor
DELL M992
Display Size 350 260
Horizsync 30.0-96.0
VertRefresh 50.-160.0
Option "dpms"

If I change the 16 to a 24 the message is the depth is bad.

The other stuff refers to the mouse etc. There is no other video related stuff.
FYI - the business I work for is going to LINUX from the IBM mainframe so this is very new to me.  Thanks.
Bob

Bukie Mabayoje <bukiemab@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I need a little more detail. When you say INTEL 865:  865 is a platform chipset and there are 865G, 865GV, 865PE and 865P.

1.) The 865G has graphic controller and AGP interface
2.) The 865GV has  only graphic controller. No AGP interface
3.) I don't have a clue about 865PE and 865P. I will look it up later.

For item 1:
there is the possibility that you may have an AGP card in your system
there is also the possibility that you are using the onboard graphic controller and not have an AGP card.
and the third possibility is you have a PCI add-on video card in your system

For item 2:
NO AGP support. You may have a add-on PCI video card
or the possibility that you are using the onboard graphic chip.

For item 3:
  DON'T KNOW YET.

I need more information. Are you using the onboard graphic controller or a add-on video or AGP video?

Bob Pelletier wrote:

Hi. I have now done both a custom install and an install using all default packages only on 2 DELL different machines configured exactly the same and both fail with this same problem (INTEL 865).  What more info would you need to troubleshoot this? They will not recognize 1024x768 config. Thanks.Bob

Bukie Mabayoje <bukiemab@xxxxxxx> wrote:

So do I edit /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc? no
Am I editing the same section of code? not really

My comment below was a response to your original statement in black below
> X11 is started at run level 5 on Redhat. If you don't what it started don't run at level 5. But then, other multi-user stuff wouldn't be available. You better off removing from the startup script..

The X server startup script is /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc. The automatic startup of X server is typically done in rc.sysinit script.
> > That's what I hate about red hat.. It appears that the new version of it doesn't allow
       for you to have the option to not automatically start the Xserver... Unfortunately, (I'm
       sure someone has a better idea) the only solution I have is to reinstall red hat.. :(

The real problem is the following:
> > Hi. I am having the same problem with the same DELL stuff. I have been trying to get an answer for a couple of weeks on how to fix it. I have reinstalled. I am about to try different hardware. Let me know if you hear anything. Thanks.
> > Bob
> >
> > Asadullah FAYZi wrote: Hi;
> > I have just started instalation of Redhat 9, Howevr i am not able to
> > change the screen Resolution from 800x600, I tried mony times but didnt
> > work. after setting the resolution to 1024x768 the system wants me to
> > logout and restart Xserver.After logging out i see that the sitting is
> > back to previous value.Actullay i have two questios
> > 1- what does it mean by restarting Xserver?
> > 2-How can I set the resolution to desired values.
> > i am using Dell branded PC with intel 865 main Board.
> >
> > Can anyone help me in this regard please,

It seems that you can't get 1024x768 resolution,  I am correct? Can you post your /etc/X11/XF86Config file?
If it is a configuration script problem I will be able to tell you immediately or else I have to install redhat 9.0 on my play box and see if I can duplicate the problem. My play box is being used right now to build Xfree86 4.4.0 on debian 3.0r3 and it is not going very well at the moment. The other machines are production  machines that I can't mess with, they are running RH EL3.0 and doing 1024x768 on the local console.

Hi. Thanks again. So do I edit /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc? Am I editing the same section of code?Bob