no devices found

Good day,

I am trying to install XFREE86 at debian on a compaq armada system. I'm less than a newby on linux let alone XFREE86. I found that I even can not alter the sources.list for APT. It is set by the installation but as soon as I add a line it ignores that line. Still do not know why but if i have to alter this file to correct teh error I encountered please give the full syntax.

Now for the error

As soon as I give the command startx the error returns no devices found. I would like to send the log file but that is residing on the linux machine and mail depends on KDE which depends on XFREE86 so that is no option an although the linux system is in my network (I can see it) ftp does not work (both ways) telnet does not work (both ways) so I do not see a way to add this log to thsi mail.

If you know a way please tell me.

With respect and thanks for the effort,

Richard Ooms