Re: ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 (notebook) not recognized - not supported??

Cornelis Bockemuehl wrote:

My hardware is an IBM Thinkpad R32, and IBM specifies the graphic adapter
as follows:

ATI Mobility Radeon 7000, AGB 4x, 16MB DDR-SDRAM, 66 MHz bus

On the ATI webpage I find the following graphic chip, which might (or might
not??) be the same:

ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP

(note the "IGP" suffix)

A PCI bus scan of my system delivers the following complete output:

http://www.os2warp.be/notebook2/ibm/r32pci.txt

the essence being: Radeon Mobility M6 LY

Here's the scoop. Any ATI chipset that is an "IGP", and there are several, is a chipset where the graphics chips is integrated into the motherboard's memory controler. IGP is an acronym for Integrated Graphics <some word that starts with P>. The regular mobility chips are stand-alone graphics chips that usually have memory either itegrated on the chip or stacked on the chip's case. Look at the picture of the Radeon Mobility M9 here:

http://www.idhw.com/textual/chip/ati/chippicture.html

The chip in your laptop is the stand-alone Radeon Mobility M6. The "LY" part is just the ASCII translation of the hex digits 0x4c 0x59. This is done because ATI likes to make lots of chips in the same model with different PCI IDs. For the M6, there are two PCI IDs around: 4c59 and 4c5a. The former is called "LY" and the later is called "LZ". There are 16 different versions of the chip used in the Radeon 8500 cards! Usually the different PCI ID doesn't mean anything, so I wouldn't worry about that.