Cannot open mouse device

I'm sorry to repeat this request for help, for I received no response
to my original message.

I've installed xserver-xfree86 version 4.3.0.dfsg1-8 on a new
installation of debian sarge using kernel 2.6.7. When started with the
startx command, the xserver crashes with the error messages:

     xfree86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/psaux. No such device
     xfree86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice. No such device

I'm using a Logitech MX300 optical mouse. The interface I configured
for it is /dev/psaux and the protocol ImPS/2.

      # ls -l /dev/psaux
      crwx------ root root

      # ls -l /dev/input/mice
      crw-rw---- root root

I'm running sarge on another disk with kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4, and have
no difficulty. I've googled and find that some people experienced
a similar problem when they upgraded to the newer kernel, but I've
been unable to find any bug report. The gpm and xdm are loaded at boot

The XFree86 web site was no help. Submitted a bug report, but it seems
to have fallen into a black hole.

I've been working on this almost two weeks, reinstalling, upgrading,
reconfiguring xserver-xfree86 (cross install from a chroot) many
times.

Anyone have any idea of what direction I should go here?

Haines Brown