XFree86 can't see input device

I asked this question before without any response, so am trying
again.

I'm newly installing (cross install) Linux debian sarge. When I do
startx for root, the X system crashes. Here is the relevant section of
the log:

================ cut ===============
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Mon Nov  1 17:42:43 2004
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
(==) ServerLayout "Default Layout"
(**) |-->Screen "Default Screen" (0)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "Sony E400"
(**) |   |-->Device "nVidia GeForce4"
(**) |-->Input Device "Generic Keyboard"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
(**) XKB: rules: "xfree86"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
(**) XKB: model: "pc101"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
(**) XKB: layout: "us"
(==) Keyboard: CustomKeycode disabled
(**) |-->Input Device "Configured Mouse"
(**) |-->Input Device "Generic Mouse"
(II) LoadModule: "nv"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nv_drv.o
(II) Module nv: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
	compiled for 4.3.0.1, module version = 1.0.1
	Module class: XFree86 Video Driver
	ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.6
(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/mouse_drv.o
(II) Module mouse: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
	compiled for 4.3.0.1, module version = 1.0.0
	Module class: XFree86 XInput Driver
	ABI class: XFree86 XInput driver, version 0.4
(==) NV(0): Backing store disabled
(==) NV(0): Silken mouse enabled
(**) Option "dpms"
(**) NV(0): DPMS enabled
(II) Keyboard "Generic Keyboard" handled by legacy driver
(**) Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/psaux
	No such device.
(EE) Configured Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Configured Mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(**) Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
(**) Generic Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
(**) Generic Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
	No such device.
(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(WW) No core pointer registered
No core pointer

Fatal server error:
failed to initialize core devices
======================================

Relevant information: XFree86 version is 4.0.3.1, video hardware is a
nVidia GeForce4 Ti 500, using the debian nv driver. Logitech MX300
optical mouse, with a USB->PS/2 adapter. Everything here refers to a
run by root, but it applies as well to a log in and startx by user. I
hve tried both easy and advanced modes for creating an X configuration
file.

What is odd is that I'm running debian sarge on another disk, and have
no trouble with the X system. The definition of mouse type and
protocol are identical in both XFree86 configurations, and I've tried
my currently successful configuration file for the new system without
luck. This suggests the problem is not in XFree86 configuration nor in
the hardware.

The device interface files are identical on the two systems. They are
reported by ls -l from a chroot prompt as follow:

crw-rw----  1 root root 13, 63 2004-10-27 13:03 /dev/input/mice
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 7 2004-10-29 19:18 /dev/mouse -> gpmdata
crw-------  1 root root 10, 1 2004-10-27 13:03 /dev/psaux

On both systems the gpm daemon is running. However, the installation
did not create the symlink /dev/mouse -> gpmdata, and having no idea
how to create a symlink to a "virtual" device lick gpmdata, I simply
copied it over from my running system the new installation.

There is nothing in the dmesg boot log to indicate any problem:

	$ dmesg | grep mouse | more
	mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice

My questions:

  1. The XFree86 log earlier on has some (II) lines concerning hsync
     and vrefresh being out of range (even though the configuration is
     identical for my running system with same hardware and
     configuration). Can I assume that (II) informational lines do not
     relate to a cause of an X server crash, but only the error
     lines (EE)?

  2. I do not understand the log entry: "(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot
     open device /dev/psaux ." The mouse is PS/2 rather than serial or
     bus type. So what's the meaning of the reference to "OpenSerial"?

  3. Does the phrase "no such device" suggest the relevant device
     interface files in /dev can't be seen, or the hardware can't be
     seen, or either?

  4. To experiment by removing the gpm daemon as a factor, do I only
     have to stop the daemon, or do I have to do something further
     with the device interface files?

Haines Brown