mac os x and x11 copy/paste problems

In theory, the X11 available on the Mac website should handle copy/paste within a given xapplication. (The problems and all the discussion are about pasting between x and non-x apps.)

But there's something wrong with pasting within the xterm for me, and I can't find any discussion of a similar problem. In short, copy/paste within the xterm works for one user on my Mac but not for other users. There aren't many user configuration files involved, and we've checked everything we could think of. When I thought the problem was in my account set up somehow, I created a new user from scratch and did nothing to it but start up x11 and had the same problem. Meanwhile, another user has no problems. We can't figure out what he's got that the other users don't.

The specific problem is that using the mouse to select text in an xterm works, but there is no way to paste it. Middle mouse button, ^V, and cmd-V don't do anything. Furthermore, once I try to do that, mouse manipulations of the xterm (like trying to drag it or resize) don't work. Problem's the same running rootless or full screen.

I'm running the Mac X11 1.0 - XFree86 4.3.0 on Mac OS X 10.3.5 (Darwin 7.5.0).

Any suggestions?