Re: X and multiple full-screen applications: Is it possible?

   When you say virtual desktops, do you mean window manager virtual
root windows?  Full-screen apps go full screen by circumventing the
window manager (via override redirect), which would have put window
decorations on it and prevented it from going full screen.  I don't
think you could do what you want to do without communicating with
the window manager somehow.  I know very little about window manager
interfaces so I don't know if such a capability already exists.
In short, full-screen apps are created by going around the window
manager, which is what gives you your virtual desktops.

   Normally, what the window manager does is look for windows that
are created as immediate children of the root window.  Then they
reparent that window to one of their own virtual root windows.
Full screen apps request a full size child of the root (and on
top of the stack) and prevent the window manager from reparenting
by setting the override redirect flag which prevents the window
manager from getting notification about this window.

			Mark.