Re: Bug report

Marc Aurele La France <tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx> Wrote:

> Your /proc/cpuinfo indicates you have an Athlon64, but you are running an X
> server binary meant for i686's.  That's not likely to work.
>
> Marc.

The question then is how could it work before?
The Athlon64 is designed to be fully PC/x86-compatible:
it works only in 32-bit mode unless one has a 64-bit operating system
that turns on the appropriate hardware bits to make it a 64-bit machine -
but I don't have such an operating system, so if the Athlon was operating
in 64-bit mode I could not even boot.

The fact is that the exact same program (the X server) and its supporting
files, running on exactly the same hardware, was fully functional under the
Linux-2.6.8-pre2 and earlier kernels and crash under kernels from
Linux-2.6.8-pre3 onward, so it must be either a newly introduced kernel
bug, or an old bug in the X server making wrong assumptions about some
unpromised kernel behaviour.

Perhaps it would help if I could lay my hands on a binary version
of the "X" program that has more debug information that I can present
to this list.

Amnon.

My original query was: