Re: [XFree86] MMIO bug for 5446 rev 0 cirrus driver

> Did I find my problem ? Can this problem be relied to display
> problems on my old 14" proview monitor ?

I doubt it, MMIO only refers to a manner of accessing the hardware
registers.  It is usually faster than PIO so it is preferred when
possible.

> There are bad "horizontal vibrations" on the screen, during X
> sessions, and this is the main problem. The prompt when I
type text
> may have some strange colors. I used another windows system
without
> this problem.

Thanks Ryan for your answer, and advice.

>I doubt it, MMIO only refers to a manner of accessing the
hardware
>registers.  It is usually faster than PIO so it is preferred when
>possible.

Can MMIO be enabled ?

>This sounds like a modeline problem.  Have you played with
xvidtune to
>see if it can help?

I tried xvidtune, and I can get better display, but vibrations
are still here.

>Or perhaps try a lower resolution.  Does the
>monitor work correctly at that resolution and refresh rate on a
>different video card, or on the same video card running windows?

I tried with lower resolution and it was the same problem,
under linux.

Using windows, I did not have these vibrations. I can use
800x600 and 65536 colors (2exp 16, 16 for depth) settings.

With linux, I cannot get 800x600 + the depth 16. When I set
thousands of colors, the resolution downgrade automatically to
640x480!

Concerning the settings of xvidtune, I realised that depending
on what I tried, I got a screen more or less white. And under
windows, the screen is much more dark.

Cheers, Xavier.