Re: out of curiosity...

   If I install XFree86 on a machine with no existing X installation,
startx produces a working server running TWM.   It may be that your
Linux distribution has assumptions installed (such as in an .xinitrc)
that a particular window manager is to be run and without that window
manager startx will fail.  It's probably got nothing to do with
XFree86 per se.  XFree86 probably starts fine without a window manager
if you run "XFree86".  The answer probably lies in your system's
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc or user's .xinitrc.

			Mark.