Mouse problems

Hi,

When X loads i see a pointer on the screen but i cannot move the mouse. When i load X the output shows:

(**) Configured Mouse : Protocol "Auto"
(**) Configured Mouse : Core Pointer
(==) Configured Mouse : Buttons : 3
(**) Generic Mouse : Protocol : "ImPS/2"
(**) Generic Mouse : always report core events
(EE) xf86OpenSerial :cannot open device /dev/input/mice No Such device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
(II) XINPUT : Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type :MOUSE)
(EE) Configured Mouse : cannot determine the mouse protocol

However at the moment i am trying with a serial mouse and have the XF86Config file set to the relevant protocol and device.

I have however noticed that when i boot the system i get:

Detected PS/2 Mouse Port Serial driver version 4.27 with HUB-6 MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled ttyS01 at 0x02t8 (IRQ = 3) is a 16550A

Does this mean my serial port is actually called ttyS01 or should it just be in the format ttyS0?

I have also tried with a PS2 mouse and the relevant settings in XF86config however this can cause the PS2 keyboard to die and still have no mouse activity.

This also happens when i try cat /dev/psaux

Also, when i try -config to create an XFConfig.new with the PS2 mouse i get the message "no mouse detected" and when i try with the serial it installs a PS2 mouse...

Any help would be appreciated...

Jon