Xinerama configuration

Co-worker and friends constantly ask me about howto configure the linux
box with Xinerama. Some of them are using two single head cards, while
others are using only one dual head card.

I just let them know there is a command for this like
system-config-display in fedora, but most of the time it is not enough
for them.

I just wonder how can I differentiate single head card from multi head
one by looking at the lspci or any other command.  I investigated
database for graphical cards (pci.ids, Cards and pcitable), but I
couldn't find any clue for this.  Also I've spent few hours in the
google with no vain.

If I can decide the type of graphic card (single, dual or quad), I guess
I can write a shell script to create a X configuration file
automatically.

Does anyone know about this?  any advice appreciate..

Thanks,
Jason.