Newbie XFree86, Gnome & and dual head problem

Hi --

I installed the new version of XFree86 (4.4.0) on two of our machines here running RH v8 on one and RH v9 on the other.  Both are dual headed machines.  The XF86Config file appears to have worked correctly.  I had replaced some video cards -- nVidia -- and the older version of XF86 didn't have the drivers.  The results were different on the two machines, but also had similar problems.

Problem one:  The default session manager is no longer gnome, but xsm, and provides a small 4 button pane and the cursor drags around a resizable terminal window.  By adding "gnome-session" to the startup shell, .cshrc, I can get the gnome session manager to start.  (I do get a nasty-gram everytime I open a terminal however.) But, when logging out of a session, I get back to the xsm format, and have to repeat the logout process.

Problem two:  On one system, the RH v8 box, the gnome session does not show up on the other monitor.  The mouse can move from one monitor to the other and is responsive in both, but when it is in the secondary monitor, the cursor changes from an arrow to and X, and is non-reactive.  That is, you can't click either mouse button to bring up a terminal or have that screen do anything.  The screen color in the secondary monitor is gray where the gnome is blue with icons and a tool bar.

Question one -- how can I set up a global default file for every user that brings up a default session in gnome?

Question two -- how can I get gnome to work on both monitors?  (It works just fine in the other, RH9 system.)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hobbie