Trident Cyberblade e4-128 lock-up problem

Hi

I have a Toshiba Portege 7140ct, that comes with the infamous Cyberblade e4-128
card. The linux I run is Debian Sarge - testing. Kernel is 2.6.5. However I
tried it with many other distros and kernels, so that seems to be not the real
problem. Correct me if I am wrong.

I tried XFree86 versions 4.2 4.3 4.4. I also tried to use alanh's driver that I
found, trident_drv.o.

The problem is that the system runs well, but I get lockups ocasionally, and I
cannot do anything. If I am currently ssh-d into the laptop from another
machine, that client dies off as well. No message shows up in the
/var/log/messages or syslog files what so every. When the lockup happenes, the
screen freezes to the current displayed image. It wont black out, etc.
I have tried numerous configurations in the XFree86Config-4 file but none seems
to work. I tried to force it to use 16bit depth, but it still freezes. I
couldnt make any connection between events and freezes, so I coudlnt eliminate
what might have caused it. When I run the fbdev friver, and include the vga=791
line in lilo, all goes well, just the video is really slow. I cannot watch
DVD's etc. If anybody has a solution please let me know. If I can modify the
driver with anything at all, inform me please, so I can fix this laptop, as it
is crippled at this stage.

scanpci shows this:

pci bus 0x0001 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x1023 device 0x9540
 Trident Microsystems Cyber 9540

Yes, it is recognized as a Cyberblade 9540. I dont know why.

Here is the current X config file, that I created by running the
xfree86 -configure

and modifying it a little, the mouse I have to modify, and include a horizsync
and vertrefresh commands, or the screen will be little.

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"