RE: Uninstalling 4.4

ON 2004-07-16 19:39:54, ian white wrote:
>I am trying to correct a situation in which I have multiple versions of
>XFree86 on my sid Debian Linux distro with kernel v2.6.6 on a Pentium4
>machine.
>
>I built and installed XFree86 4.4 into /usr manually. apt refuses to
>complete installation of v4.3, I assume, because it finds files belonging to
>4.4.
>
>How do I uninstall it, so that I can start fresh with XFree86 4.3 from
>Debian? There does not seem to be an "uninstall" target in the Makefile.
>
>Many thanks.
>
>Yours truly,
>--Ian

I always upgrade XFree86 from sources, and the way I do it is by moving the
old /usr/X11R6 to /usr/X11R6.bak and the old /etc/X11 to /etc/X11.bak, then
installing the new version fresh. This way if something goes wrong I still
have the original X11 files to revert back to. Also, I can look at config
and appdefault files from the old version files if I need to tweak the new
ones. Since you are using distro, I can't guarentee that doing this won't
break something. As a matter of fact, it probably will break something. I
haven't run a precompiled distro in years. I suggest you backup before
you do anything... especially if this is a production or server critical
machine.

Cheers