Top half of screen doubles in interlaced mode

Hi everyone,

I am trying to use a CT69000 (a Chips and Technologies card) to output to a TV in NTSC at 640x480. I have set my modeline correctly, I believe, so that the screen syncs and the horizontal resolution is correct. However, the screen shows only the top half (240 pixels) of the desktop, which is stretched to fill the whole screen.  The system apparently believes that it is displaying the whole screen because I can move the cursor off the bottom of the screen, and using a larger virtual desktop I can scroll around and see everything.  Reducing the number of lines used for drawing only shrinks the size of the display, the top half is still the only thing shown.  This only occurs when I use interlaced mode - when I turn interlacing off this goes away.  But interlacing is necessary for NTSC to work properly. Composite sync is being taken care of by hardware because the "Composite" option did nothing, though the chipset is supposed to support it.

 I am using XFree86 version 4.0.1 on a RedHat 7.3 distribution with a custom 2.4.18 kernel - I can't change any of those due to compatibility restrictions. Right now the driver is set to "svga" because when I use "vesa" or "chips" (the C&T driver which supports this chipset) startx says "Driver not recognized."

Is there an easy way to fix this? If I need to install the Chips driver, how do I do that? Thanks!

Relevant parts of my XF86Config (some of these labels are not correct, they come from old hardware, but the values should be right):

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier "QVGA"
	VendorName "AND"
	ModelName "TFT-5MQ"
	HorizSync 7-70
	VertRefresh 30-150
	Modeline "NTSC" 14.16 640 700 764 904 485 491 496 525 interlace
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier "CT69000"
	Option "no_stretch"