Dual cards. Dual Monitors. Device Problems!

I'm trying to get dual card / dual monitors to work.  One card AGP,
one card PCI.  Using all Xfree drivers, ati and nv.

I have a strange problem where only the first listed device is
detected.  The log complains ...

No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:5:0)

... or if I switch the order of the Device sections in the config
file, putting the card in PCI:1:5:0 first, then the log complains
about the other device that was just working before I switched them.

After reading the manual I made sure that in the "Device" section for
each card I listed the BusID accordingly.  I got these values from...

X -scanpci

...however this did not fix the problem.  Im stuck in single monitor
display, using the first listed device, and logging complaints about
the second.  Why else would the server not see the correct Device
section even when I have that BusID in it?

thanks in advance for any feedback.